FC3 power off problem

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 06:16:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:41:01 -0800, Rich Burroughs <rich at paranoid.org> wrote:
> Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>
> >>acpi=off work in me... don't know why...
> >

> > Those with problems powering off cleanly need
> > to be very clear what kernel they are working with
> > and what boot flags are involved.
>
> I'm using the latest kernel in the updates
> (kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.i586.rpm) and setting acpi=off in the grub.conf
> fixed it for me. Before the box would say "Power Down" but just sit
> there, now it actually powers off.
>
> Rich

Rich,

Please be aware that this is not a "fix" but rather is a "workaround."
 The problem is still there, the "acpi=off" just forces a different
set of code to do the turning off (apm).  Also, this workaround has
some pontentially undesirable consequences.  For instance, my laptop
uses acpi for processor frequency scaling and power management.  If I
turn it off, these won't work, which would be fairly bad.  If you have
a desktop, I'd say the chance that it needs acpi is much less.  I
guess you just have to weigh whether you need acpi and if you can deal
with manually powering off your system.

Jonathan