FC3: Problems with mounting USB harddisk

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 10 09:09:49 UTC 2004

On 12/10/2004 12:20:58 AM, Stephan Groß wrote:

> > What are the permissions on
> >
> > /media
> > /media/usbdisk
>
> They are (of course) owned by root and only writable for root but if
> mount a
> FAT-partition, the ownership is changed automatically to the user who
> mounted
> it. So, to render my question more precisely: Why isn't the ownership
> of a
> mounted ext3 partition not ajusted to the id of the mounting user?

As far existing files on the disk, they will only be writable by the
UID that created them (or GID if group has write permissions) because
ext2/ext3 preserves permissions as a filesystem - fat32 doesn't.

As root, create a directory on the ext3 partition, and give rwx to your
user. I bet your user can then rwx in that directory, no matter who
mounts it. That's probably what you need to do - create directories on
it owned by the users that are allowed to use it. Then those users can
use it. Or you could create a directory on it with 777 permissions -
like /tmp is (I think you also would want to set the sticky but, not
positive)