Private Fedora repository

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Dec 10 14:24:05 UTC 2004

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:54:43PM -0500, Frank wrote:
>>I'd like to have one of the machines maintain a repository of all
>>updates and then point the others machines at this local repository.
>>This will be good for me, and good for the public mirrors as well.
>>
>>Can anyone point me to directions for how to do this?
>

> http://www.charlescurley.com/yum.html

In section 2.1.7 of this document (Make the Header Files), you say:

   "Since yum-arch and createrepo create their data in different
    directories, it is harmless to run both. If you are building things
    manually, this would be a waste of cycles. But you might want to do
    this if you are maintaining systems that use several versions of yum,
    e.g. FC1, FC2 and FC3"

When building my own local repositories, I thought I'd save some time and use
yum-arch for FC1 and FC2 repos and createrepo for FC3. However, I later
discovered that FC3's up2date requires yum-arch style headers for yum repos
rather than createrepo style headers, so that's another good reason to create
both sets of headers for all repos.

Paul.