FC1 > FC3

Steve Fink stevef at netvantix.com
Fri Dec 10 15:38:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 09:52 -0600, Don Dupy wrote:
> Has anyone done an upgrade from FC1 > FC3 ?
> I am wanting to upgrade, but I an afraid with FC2 in the middle
> that might not be a good idea.
> Would I be better off backing up everything and doing a fresh install?
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Don Dupy
>
> FC1 - Kernel 2.4.22 - Dell Poweredge 600SC
> http://www.maxxrad.net
> email: fedora at maxxrad.net

Don,

I upgraded my test machine from FC2 to FC3 and everything went fine,
except complete installation of Gnome.  Gnome wouldn't work so I did a
yum install gnome* and then everything worked fine.  So I repeated the
process on my production machine and had the same results.  So another
yum install gnome* fixed that too.

But then after about 5 or 6 days, it started running slower, then it
just crashed.  During the boot nothing could be mounted /etc/fstab was
corrupted and it dumped me into a repair console but everything was read
only and such.  I booted to Knoppix and made a backup of my Evolution
( everything else was still current in my backup before the upgrade ).
And reformatted and installed FC3 fresh.

I have noticed a considerable performance increase in the fresh FC3
install vs the upgrade.  I would recommend spending the time to backup
and reformat.

FWIW

Best,

Steve