RIVA128 and color settings

Mark Bradford bra9ford at connecttime.net
Fri Dec 10 15:44:24 UTC 2004

I have a RIVA128 on a dual boot system running FC2 and WinXP.  On the
fedora side I am unable to set the colors above 256, but the XP driver
runs at the highest setting with no problem.  I've gotten used to the
other limitations of the RIVA card in Fedora, but it seems like I should
be able to set the color depth at a higher level for a more attractive
display.  I've tried adjusting the settings via both
system-config-display and manually going into the xorg.conf file, but if
I bump up the setting x fails to start.  Any suggestions of how to fix
the problem, or any suggestions of an inexpensive replacement that would
provide 3D support w/o dealing with the nvidia driver disaster?

Thanks,
Mark