FC3 power off problem

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Fri Dec 10 18:07:44 UTC 2004

Jonathan Berry wrote:

> Please be aware that this is not a "fix" but rather is a "workaround."
>  The problem is still there, the "acpi=off" just forces a different
> set of code to do the turning off (apm).  Also, this workaround has
> some pontentially undesirable consequences.  For instance, my laptop
> uses acpi for processor frequency scaling and power management.  If I
> turn it off, these won't work, which would be fairly bad.  If you have
> a desktop, I'd say the chance that it needs acpi is much less.  I
> guess you just have to weigh whether you need acpi and if you can deal
> with manually powering off your system.

Thanks Jonathan. I am using a desktop, and turning ACPI off does not
seem to have hurt me.

The big problem was that the power button actually wouldn't even
respond. I have an Emachines box, it has a power button with a blue ring
around it that lights up when it's on - I would press that button after
the Power Down message and nothing would happen. I couldn't CTRL-ALT-DEL
either. I had to pull the power plug the first time it happened.

What I did as a workaround first was choosing to restart instead, and
then I was able to power the box off once it started the reboot sequence.

So, the acpi=off workaround is a lot cleaner for me :) I'm sure it's
different for some.

Still haven't found a good way to suspend, though, nothing as clean as
the suspend in XP. When I do "apm -s" or "apm -S", the box beeps a few
times and it sounds like the drive spins down, but everything else is
still going. I can still hear the CPU fan. The suspend in XP pretty much
powers off the whole box, then that blue light blinks until I hit a key
or move the mouse and it wakes again.

I have used Linux for a long time but haven't had to deal with power
management much, I usually use desktops and don't worry about it...

Thanks,

Rich