install FC3

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Dec 11 02:16:49 UTC 2004

On 12/10/2004 05:04:18 PM, Richard E Miles wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:38:43 -0500 (EST)
> fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>
> > hi i have FC 2 installed on my desktop
> > can i install FC3 over it? keeping the existing partitions?
>
> Yes. You can upgrade during the install as an option. This will keep
> your
> partitions intact. Do an upgrade. Not a fresh install.

You can also do it with a fresh install.
Use the manual partition - you can look at each partition, the label
will show, and you define your mount points and what gets formatted.

For example - I format / and /boot but do not format /home and /iso (/
iso is where I keep iso's for several distributions ...)

I do have to do a little extra work this way, as I need to migrate my
passwd/group/shadow file (SAVE THEM before install), and recreate the /
var/spool/mail mbox's for existing users, but I get a clean slate from
which I can yum install the apps I need, yet my user preferences and
files are all kept intact.

Before I do such an update - I also make rpm querries to specific
repositories - ie

rpm -qa |grep "\.fdr\." > rpms.fedora.us
rpm -qa |grep "\.lvn\." > rpms.livna.org

etc.
That helps me easily yum install fresh versions of what I use post new
install.