disabling touchpad on notebook

Wayne Leutwyler wayne-leutwyler at columbus.rr.com
Sat Dec 11 02:16:59 UTC 2004

Darrell Esau wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop running FC3.  I'd like to disable the
>touchpad and use only a microsoft USB wheelmouse.
>
>Currently when I plug the USB mouse in, it works fine, however the touchpad is
>also working.
>
>Does anyone know what to do with the xorg.conf to disable the touchpad?
>
>Below are what I believe to be the relevant sections of the xorg.conf file:
>
>Thanks,
>

>Section "ServerLayout"
>        Identifier     "single head configuration"
>        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>        InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
>EndSection
>
>Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier  "Mouse0"
>        Driver      "mouse"
>        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>EndSection
>
>Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier  "Synaptics"
>        Driver      "synaptics"
>        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>EndSection

If you want to just turn off the ability to tap the pad, you can add
this Option "MaxTapTime" "0" to the synaptics section of your xorg.conf,
this way you can move the pointer but you would have to use of the
buttons to get a click. I turn off the tap cause its a pain. Dont know
if this will help ya, just thought I would put it out for you.

--
Wayne Leutwyler - RHCT, CNA
Linux Admin / DBA