Ctrl-A/E/U/etc in GNOME Apps?

A. Rick Anderson arick at pobox.com
Sat Dec 11 02:52:21 UTC 2004

Pete Toscano wrote:

> A. Rick Anderson wrote:
>
>> Add the following line to your login script (probably .bash_profile)
>> in your home directory.
>> export EDITOR=emacs
>

> Thanks, I'll try that on Monday when I'm back in at my workstation.  I
> am curious how it's working on my laptop, though, as I have no such
> envar set and can't find any mention of "emacs" in either the .gnome*
> subdirs (find ~/.gnome* -type f -exec grep -i emacs {} \; -print) or
> in gconf (with using find in gconf-editor -- well, I found something
> referencing emacsclient).  I wonder if there's another way to enable
> this behavior.
>
> Thanks again,
> pete

My recollection is that, by default, the command-line editor is usually
emacs.  Your work station may be getting set to vi.  Type in some text
on the command line, hit the escape key and enter a 0.  If it moves the
cursor to the start of the command line, then you are in vi mode instead
of emacs mode.

I prefer vi, so I always end up having to set my preference explicitly
in my profile.

--
A. Rick Anderson