Network resources evaporate on FC3 within 30 minutes of a reboot

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Dec 11 03:05:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 21:48, A. Rick Anderson wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > Sounds like your linux system is fighting with another domain
> > controller.  If you want samba to win the election to become browser
> > master you need to set the os level parameter to 32 or higher.  I
> > believe it defaults to 20.
> >

> I've currently got my Linux box set to 60, which was sufficient with
> FC2.  I've also got it set to be the "preferred master" and "domain
> master".  My smb.conf is attached.

I seem to remember reading something that said any value over 32 might
not work as expected.  I can't remember what it was that was in.  I am
pretty sure none of the windows OSes use anything over 32.  I do
remember reading that the os level value in samba can be anything up to
255 so maybe this is a non issue.

Do you have other windows servers or samba servers on the network?
Check all of their settings and make sure you force one to be PDC.

Check the samba log files.  It should be pretty obvious if they are
fighting for control.  I had that problem a while back on a network.
Once I made sure one and only one came up as browser master I had lots
of messages in the log file as they toggled back and forth.

And if that is not the problem the log files might point to what the
problem is.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com