Problem creating FC3 CD's

Lin Tse Hsu evfreek at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 07:31:28 UTC 2004

Hi.  I am having a problem creating CD[s for
installing Fedora FC3.  I use the fedora download info
page which points to instructions for cdrecord:

cdrecord -v -eject speed=4 dev=1,0,0
FC3-i386-disc1.iso

Unfortunately,. I get:

Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Drive buf size : 1359872 = 1328 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data  617 MB
Total size:     708 MB (70:12.18) = 315914 sectors
Lout start:     708 MB (70:14/14) = 315914 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, low Beta category (A-)
(2)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or
similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
Blocks total: 359846 Blocks current: 359846 Blocks
remaining: 43932
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 48 in write mode for
single session.

Note that although speed 4 was commanded, speed 48 was
actually used to do the write.  I think that this is a
problem, since my CD-R blanks are only rated to 40x.
I also tried speed=2.  Same problem, and finished in
the same amount of time that speed=4 gave.  Is it
possible that cdrecord reads the speed but does not
accept it?  This makes things hard, since the writing
is unreliable and many of the CDROMS generated with
cdrecord fail linux mediacheck.

I am using version 1.10 of cdrecord.  I searched
google and deja, and many people quote the command
string and the output, indicating that if speed=1,
then the selected speed is 1.

Is this a bad version problem, or is there really  a
bug.

Thanks