mounting usbstick in fc2

Peter Lesterhuis peterlesterhuis at tiscali.nl
Sat Dec 11 08:50:14 UTC 2004

Hi,
I am trying to mount my usbstick. But it won't happen.
Hardware browser detects the usbstick (/dev/sda). I created a new
directory in /mnt (mkdir usb). I added a line in /fstab

]$ cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/sda                /mnt/usb                vfat
noauto,owner,user,sync 0 0

But whwn I try to mount the system coms up with this message:

]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
       or too many mounted file systems

When I change files type (in /fstab) in "auto", the following lines occur:

# mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Can someone give me a hint?
Thanks,
Peter.