Firewall issues with setting up vsftp server

Terry Linhardt linhardt at swbell.net
Sat Dec 11 17:07:40 UTC 2004

Jeff Kinz wrote:

>On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:17:30AM -0600, Terry Linhardt wrote:
>

>>I am attempting to set up an ftp server on an internal network. (All
>>hosts are 192.168.1.*)  I am using vsftp, but stumbling over an iptables
>>related issue.  Also, this is Fedora Core 3.

>>I am guessing that I am getting blocked by a closed port.  I've done
>>some research, and generally understand the concept, but don't
>>understand how to get past what appears to be a closed port issue
>>without opening up a large range of ports. While that may not be
>>distasteful on my private network, it is not desirable if I eventually
>>make this machine available to the outside world.
>>

>Whats the content of your iptables script, (Sanitize any important info
>please)

Actually, the iptables are the defaults provided with FC3. I have used
the GUI to "open" SSH and FTP. As noted in my original post, my problem
disappears if I stop the iptables (/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop)

>What is the shape/configuration of your Network?

All machines are attached to a Linksys router within the same building.
Some are wireless, but I don't think that is an issue.  All machines,
including the server, are in the IP range of 192.168.1.X with a
255.255.255.0 netmask. In short, *all* machines at this point are on a
private network, on the same LAN.

>Where is the delivery target in relation to your server?

If I understand your question, the physcial relationship is that they
are in adjacent rooms.