RIVA128 and color settings

Mark Bradford bra9ford at connecttime.net
Sat Dec 11 17:43:46 UTC 2004

fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:14:47 -0500
From: Bob Chiodini <chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: RIVA128 and color settings
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:44, Mark Bradford wrote:

>> I have a RIVA128 on a dual boot system running FC2 and WinXP.  On the
>> fedora side I am unable to set the colors above 256, but the XP driver
>> runs at the highest setting with no problem.  I've gotten used to the
>> other limitations of the RIVA card in Fedora, but it seems like I should
>> be able to set the color depth at a higher level for a more attractive
>> display.  I've tried adjusting the settings via both
>> system-config-display and manually going into the xorg.conf file, but if
>> I bump up the setting x fails to start.  Any suggestions of how to fix
>> the problem, or any suggestions of an inexpensive replacement that would
>> provide 3D support w/o dealing with the nvidia driver disaster?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

Mark,

Is the videoram parameter set correctly in your xorg.conf file?

Bob...

I checked the xorg.conf file and there was no videoram setting.  I added the line and then tried to up the color depth to 16, but x again failed to start.  The logfile says "Given depth (16) is not supported by this driver."  The driver is the stock nv driver for the RIVA card.  I didn't have this problem w/ RH9.  Is there an alternative to the nv driver that would run this video card?

Mark