laptop touchpad causing browser 'Back'??

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Sat Dec 11 19:14:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 11:04 -0800, Hardy Merrill wrote:
> Sometimes when I'm browsing in
> Firefox, when I move my finger on the touchpad, it
> causes the browser to go back one or more screens.
>
> Anyone know if this could be a problem with
>   * FC3?
>   * touchpad?
>   * Firefox?

I have the same problem with my Compaq laptop and finally turned off the
touchpad altogether and got a cordless USB mouse for serious browsing.
I think this is a feature of Firefox which it is possible to
accidentally access by touching the scroll portion of the touchpad, but
I admit I haven't investigated further.

[To forestall the obvious question:  My Compaq has an actual hardware
on/off switch for the touchpad.]