URGENT: WPC54G / Toshiba / FC3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Dec 11 21:16:07 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 11.12.2004 schrieb Lotsa Cabo um 21:14:

> Okay, I'm about to loose my mind.  Please help.  Here are the facts...

Why is it urgent?

> Installing FC3 on a Toshiba Satellite 5005-S507... clean install.
> When booting from CD, the machine hangs after "/sbin/loader".  I can
> get by this if I add "acpi=off" to the boot options.
> So, I installed with the "acpt=off" boot option and the OS comes up.  I
> now have two problems.
>
> PROBLEM #1: MANUAL SHUTDOWN REQUIRED
> When I shut down the machine, FC3 shuts down without any errors.
> However, instead of powering off, I get the "Power Off" message as the
> last message on the console.  This is more disappointing than anything
> and is not, per se, a "problem," but it should not be this way.  It
> worked fine with FC2.

Since you switched off ACPI this is not surprising. Use "apm=power-off"
as kernel parameter.

See from kernel source /arch/i386/kernel/apm.c:

 * Various options can be changed at boot time as follows:
 * (We allow underscores for compatibility with the modules code)
 *      apm=on/off                      enable/disable APM
 *          [no-]allow[-_]ints          allow interrupts during BIOS
calls
 *          [no-]broken[-_]psr          BIOS has a broken GetPowerStatus
call
 *          [no-]realmode[-_]power[-_]off       switch to real mode
before
 *                                              powering off
 *          [no-]debug                  log some debugging messages
 *          [no-]power[-_]off           power off on shutdown
 *          [no-]smp                    Use apm even on an SMP box
 *          bounce[-_]interval=<n>      number of ticks to ignore
suspend
 *                                      bounces
 *          idle[-_]threshold=<n>       System idle percentage above
which to
 *                                      make APM BIOS idle calls. Set it
 *                                      100 to disable.
 *          idle[-_]period=<n>          Period (in 1/100s of a second)
over
 *                                      which the idle percentage is
 *                                      calculated.
 */

> PROBLEM #2: LINUXANT DRIVERLOADER
> I own a copy of DriverLoader and it worked fine with FC2.  However,
> under FC3, I get "no devices detected" errors (or similar).  Since I am
> disabling the "ACPI" on boot, I cannot help but think of it but I doubt
> that's where I should be looking.  Has something changed in PCMCIA?

Tried ndiswrapper?
Using the 16k stack kernel by Linuxant?

> Ryan

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:08:43 up 1 day, 16:49, load average: 0.75, 0.64, 0.66