Problem creating FC3 CD's

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Dec 11 23:53:27 UTC 2004

On 12/10/2004 11:31:28 PM, Lin Tse Hsu wrote:

> Note that although speed 4 was commanded, speed 48 was
> actually used to do the write.  I think that this is a
> problem, since my CD-R blanks are only rated to 40x.
> I also tried speed=2.  Same problem, and finished in
> the same amount of time that speed=4 gave.  Is it
> possible that cdrecord reads the speed but does not
> accept it?  This makes things hard, since the writing
> is unreliable and many of the CDROMS generated with
> cdrecord fail linux mediacheck.

try speed=8

I never tried 4 but I noticed that on my burner -

speed=8 works
speed=12 and cdrecord uses 8
speed=16 works
speed=20 and cdrecord uses 16
speed=24 works

Seems that at least for me, cdrecord only likes multiples of 8.

Also - try burning with -pad and -dao

cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdd -speed=8 -pad -dao -v FC3-whatever.iso

CD's I burn that way pass media check on some systems that fail if I
don't use -pad and -dao

-=-
Interestingly, burning DVD's for me only works at 4x even though my
burner and media support 8x. (IE specify 8x and it burns at 4x)