[RESOLVED] A long, strange FC3 problem (an nVidia / Radeon problem)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 18:05:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:33:40 -0700 (MST), Summer Brooks
<brooksj at wildhorse.com> wrote:
> I took a look at my bugzilla options, and I'm not sure where to
> file this report... if it's filed in the wrong area, will it just
> get dropped if it turns out not to be related to what it was filed
> under, or will they refile it to the right place, if it's Fedora
> related?  What if it's a Viewsonic related quirk?

> I'd hate for this to get lost... I doubt I'm the only one with this
> configuration, or will be the only one with it ever...

File it where you think its appropriate, and in your report
specifically state that you are not sure if this is the most
appropriate place to file and ask for the best location.  The
developer who is responsible for reading over your report will drop a
note to the report telling you to refile it and where to refile it, if
you have chosen the wrong location.

I can garuntee you one thing, if this issue is never filed anywhere...
and is only discussed in this mailinglist... it most definitely will
get lost.  Out of all the people with your specific hardware
configuration... you can't really expect any of them to be reading
this list.  And you certaintly can't expect developers or package
maintainers to keep up with a high traffic mailinglist like this.
This is why bugzilla exists, to track issues. You want this issue to
not be lost, file a bug.

steps to take:
*Make sure you are NOT using the proprietary nvidia or ati drivers,
*take notes while reproducing the problem,
*save the Xorg configuration file and /var/log/Xorg.0.log in case they
are wanted.
*write the bug report to bugzilla.redhat.com against fedora core
xorg-x11 component.
  detailing your hardware and the steps you can take to reproduce this
problem. Say
  specifically that you are unsure if this is the right place to file
and ask for instructions on the
  best place to file.
*follow up on any comments from the package maintainer or developer.
If they tell you to file
 it upstream, then please, refile it at the location they suggest.  if
they ask for more specific
 information or if they ask you to run tests to generate logging
information, then please follow
 their instructions and try to give them the information they request
as soon as you are able.

-jef