Directly Copying from CD to CD-RW

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Dec 12 21:19:34 UTC 2004

Am So, den 12.12.2004 schrieb Amy M um 21:55:

> >dd if=/dev/hdX | cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdY speed=4 -
> >
> >/dev/hdX is the source drive and /dev/hdY the burning device.
> >If you have the buffer utility it can help in between (buffer -S 8m -s
> >2048).
> >

> Thanks for the help.  The procedure is good for "data" CDs.  For music
> CDs, since you typically have to go through a ripping step before can
> even copy it onto the HD, will your procedure work?  (Apologize that I
> am speaking from ignorance.)

Amy,

you are right. I missed to annotate that the command above is for data
CDs. On the fly copying of audio CDs should be done using cdrdao (comes
with FC), please see:

http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/example.html

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:17:15 up 2 days, 16:58, load average: 0.49, 0.53, 0.47