LVM trouble?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Dec 13 02:58:06 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 13.12.2004 schrieb Dan Stromberg um 3:44:

> I have an FC3 system, that was happy, but is now unhappy.  This may be
> related to someone, who shall remain nameless, having shut off the power
> on it without doing an orderly shutdown.  Then again, maybe it was
> because of a "yum -y update", because I put off rebooting for a while
> after that.
>
> Anyway, now when it tries to boot, I see:
>
> Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
>   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>   Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
>   2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active

Booting without boot parameter "quiet" shows more?

> ...and that's it.  I've left it there for over and hour, and it never
> gets past that.
>
> I booted off of an FC3 rescue cd, and found that I could mount the /boot
> partition, but I cannot mount the / partition.  I ran various lvm
> commands that identified two lvm volumes on the system.
> fsck'ing /dev/hda2 (which is /) is getting me no where though - it just
> says "invalid argument".

No, you will have to check the filesystem of the LVM volume. It is
correct to boot with CD1 into rescue mode (or the rescue CD), then let
all what it finds be mounted only read-only. You have this choice. Then
fsck the LVM.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 03:55:05 up 2 days, 22:35, load average: 1.45, 1.16, 0.86