Problem creating FC3 CD's

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Dec 13 07:45:34 UTC 2004

On 12/12/2004 11:21:53 PM, Lin Tse Hsu wrote:

> Hi Michael.  I tried speed=8.  Incredibly, this
> worked.  The speed actually got set to 8.  speed=2 and
> speed=4 ended up getting me 48x, which was too fast
> for the CDR media that I was using.  Very silly.

Yes. I will see if there is a cdrtools bug for this, and if not and I
can duplicate it - then I will report one. If you select a speed below
8 it should not default to fastest speed, but slowest that is valid.

> cdrecord 1.10 must have some kind of override if it
> thinks that the hardware can handle the higher rate.

I think what happens is that if it isn't a multiple ox 8x it defaults
to the next lower multiple of 8x but 0x is not valid so it uses fastest
or something.

> But, it still did not work.  speed=8 generated lots of
> bad copies that failed linux mediacheck.  So, I tried
> the other options, -dao and -pad.  I don't know which
> one it was, but I succeeded on the first try.

My guess is that your burns w/0 -dao/-pad were actually good burns
despite failing media check.
Apparently a bug in the kernel ide driver causes the media check to
fail on ATAPI cd drives if not burned with padding, even though they
are good burns.