CD-RW dosen't blank (was Re: CD burning doesn't work - scsi emulation?..)

Morgan Read mstuff at pl.net
Mon Dec 13 11:03:43 UTC 2004

Hi All,
Thanks for your help.
Turns out xcdroast is burning CD-R fine, & also the "CD Creator" option
of nautilus.
But, the problem is it wont blank a CD-RW, which was what I first tried
to do, so was led astray.

I've tried to blank CD-RW (a number of disks - none knew) but no joy.
Here's the out put of my attempts from cdrecord, any help or pointers
would be much appreciated.  Thanks very much.
Regards,
M.
######################
[root at morgansmachine root]# cdrecord blank=all -force dev=ATAPI:0,0,0
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: 'ATAPI:0,0,0'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
Warning: There may be fatal problems.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'QSI     '
Identifikation : 'DVD/CDRW SBW-081'
Revision       : 'NXC5'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
Waiting for drive to calm down.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   4.0 in real force BLANK mode for
single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
cdrecord: Input/output error. blank unit: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.008s timeout 9600s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   4.0 in real force BLANK mode for
single session.
No chance to quit anymore. Operation starts.
cdrecord: Input/output error. blank unit: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 9600s
cdrecord: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
[root at morgansmachine root]#