booting with wrong grub.conf

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Dec 13 15:00:06 UTC 2004

John Cox wrote:
> I have an extra partition that I use to test other distributions. My
> normal procedure is install but not let the new OS install grub. I
> then manually modify my FC3 grub.conf. I didn't do this with an
> installation of caos so now when I boot I'm using the grub.conf on the
> caos partition. I don't want this as FC3 is my main OS. I tried using
> FC3 rescue to reinstall grub to /dev/hda but that doesn't do the job.
> So what determines which grub.conf the system uses and how do I change
> that?

You probably need to specify where things are by hand.  Assuming you
don't have separate /boot partitition, and that your root is on first
disk, first partition, just type grub, and on command line enter
something like this (as one line):

install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0)
(hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/grub.conf

If your /boot is somewhere else, change parameters accordingly.  If
/boot is separate patition, leave /boot on first parameter, and remove
it from all others (all others are relative to partition specified in
brackets).  I'm not sure if you'll need to do this from chrooted env, or
not (probably yes).