System slowing down to a stall.

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Mon Dec 13 17:05:25 UTC 2004

cron.daily is a directory containing a set of script files that cron runs on a daily basis.
Parallels are cron.hourly, cron.weekly, and cron.monthly

/etc/cron.daily has a command for logrotate which relies on /etc/logrotate.conf

which points to the directory /etc/logrotate.d, which contains files containing
lists of files to rotate (typically in /var)

/etc/logrotate.d/mailman has given me grief whose symptoms were similar to what you describe:
/var/log/mailman/*
existed where
/var/log/mailman/error
should have been.
The first run changed /var/log/mailman/error to /var/log/mailman/error.1 and created a new /var/log/mailman/error.
The second run created /var/log/mailman/error.1.1, and /var/log/mailman/error.1 from the two older files,
then created /var/log/mailman/error and /var/log/mailman/error.1
This doubling took place on a daily basis until logrotate took hours to run and exhausts the inode table for /var.

Not sure which releases had this exact problem (only tested and found on RH9);
other commands in this 'tree of cron' could manifest this problem since there is no sanity check in place.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On 12/13/2004 08:22:28 AM, Satish Balay wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Divided By 0 wrote:
>>
>> > So is there anything that can show me what's eating my system up?
>> Anything
>> > syspicious I could check?
>>
>> For one - 'free' is a better tool to measure memory usage.  And try
>> the following: to see if the memory usage (used -/+ buffers/cache)
>> decreases:
>>
>> free
>> rm /etc/prelink.cache
>> /etc/cron.daily/prelink
>> free
>

> Rather than remove /etc/cron.daily/prelink - copy it outside of /etc/
> cron.daily so it can be restored if it's not the issue.
>
> It's quite useful to have.

ok, what's this cron.daily? I can't 'man' right now.

--
Man learns from his mistakes.
Manking learns from its History.

Money does not bring happiness, but it does repel misery