Install FC2 on SATA RAID0 controller from Silicon Image

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Dec 13 17:35:31 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 13.12.2004 schrieb pouet pouet um 15:09:

> >Use Linux native software RAID (md) instead, it's fully supported
> >by the installer.

> right ! I'm afRAID it is the only way ;-p
> What I google is that silicon image do not provide a true hardware solution
> but half-software raid instead ( normal with a 20$ chip ! )

Exactly.

> so that we need to provide an extra soft driver. the driver exists for this
> controller and is provided  here:
> http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/readme
> and problems begin to get it work with installer!!!

As the readme says, "For discussions, questions, patches, enhancement
requests etc., please subscribe and mail to <ataraid-list at redhat.com>.".
Search that list's archive for hints.

> will try with LVM but I think it is not possible configure the 2 disks as a
> whole strip because boot disk could not be a raid device ?

Make /boot a single partition outside the LVM. Please see

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-lvm.html

> is it possible to slice the 1st disk with something like "/" and "swap" and
> to aggregate the rest of the disk with the second one with LVM md device ?

LVM is no RAID. But you can combine both. The Fedora installer supports
this very easily. First create a single /boot partition. From the rest
of the disks you can create RAID arrays and upon that LVMs.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:30:02 up 3 days, 13:10, load average: 1.05, 0.90, 0.66