FC2>FC3: Problems with Sound-Demons

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Mon Dec 13 23:09:24 UTC 2004

Yesterday did an upgrade from FC2 to FC3 yesterday - and I experience
problems with the sound-demons esound and aRts (in Gnome and KDE resp.).

1.
The esd-plugin of xmms sounds very distorted - was perfect under FC2.
2.
aRts does not start at all - although installed.
3.
My soundcard is not detected automatically anymore, I have to run
system-config-soundcard after every reboot to be recognised. Then it
runs perfectly with alsa, but it does not accept sounds from more than
one source - which is a bit awkward when running music through xmms and
opening a music site on mozilla or firefox.

There is no changes to my modprobe.conf compared to FC2 - but my own old
advices are not working anymore. And since this is my semi-productive
private desktop and there are so many improvements to FC3, I don't want
to switch back to FC2.

I did now two hours of googeling and was looking through this list as
well - to which I am a subsciber - but have not found a solution, and
it's midnight here in Budapest, so if anybody could give me a hint where
to continue, I would be a happy person.

Thanks and regards
Markus Huber