Connection to Webmin

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Mon Dec 13 21:48:56 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz ha scritto/wrote il giorno/on 13/12/2004 18:51:

>Am Mo, den 13.12.2004 schrieb James Wilkinson um 18:41:
>

>>antonio montagnani mentioned:
>>

>>>http://localhost:10000/ works
>>>

>>Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>>

>>>What is you problem with it? I would even say, running webmin over plain
>>>http and not http/ssl secured is plain stupid.
>>>

>>In this particular example, it's merely bad practice. It's safe enough
>>in that example because the data never leaves the machine (it will go
>>over the loopback interface).  And if the computer is properly
>>firewalled, no-one can get at port 10000 from outside. And the standard
>>Fedora firewall will do this.
>>

>[ ... ]
>

>>No, the reason I think it bad practice is simply because you may forget
>>and think it safe when you do administer over a not-fully-trusted
>>network.
>>
>>James.
>>

>James,
>
>of course your more detailed discussion is fully correct. I just took
>the URL Antonio posted as illustrations. How many webmin users remotely
>administer their host over a non secured HTTP connection? means, they
>login as root this way. I fear there are a lot! Unfortunately.
>
>From my point of view it would be best if webmin would require the HTTPS
>connection under any circumstance. The only problem when installing from
>sources is, that it requires a Perl module to activate SSL.
>
>Alexander

Alexander&James,

tnx for your help.
Some comment from a standard user that switched his systems from
Microsoft .... ;-), and he is trying to learn (learning curve is very
steep, indeed)

a) My two systems are fully firewalled and only hard wired networks
b) I realized that I could have a SSL connection to Webmin yesterday
night when suddenly one of my Webmin refused connection if not by
https:...... and SSL option was enabled (not by me, because I didn't
know of this option)
c) this happened suddenly after upgrade from FC2 to FC3 on one system
d) on the other system FC3 from FC2, this afternoon I tried to enable
SSL, but module was not installed: I tried to follow instructions as x
Webmin site, but module installation didn't succeed, I tried to install
from CPAN
e) If I list Perl modules on Webmin on the SSL enabled machine I do not
see any Perl module for SSL.
f) How could I have SSL enabled Webmin on one system??

Tnx for help

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3