Network Card Installation FC3

Andoni andonilist at eurokom.ie
Tue Dec 14 10:55:58 UTC 2004

> The ethernet card kernel module.  ie. For me lspci gives my my ethernet
> card as:
>
> waldemar (user: root)  (time= 14:59:42)
>  > ~ # lspci
> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815
> (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
>
> lsmod just lists all your loaded kernel modules.
>
> I know the module for my card  is 'natsemi' so that needs to be loaded.
>
> waldemar (user: root)  (time= 13:06:03)
>  > ~ # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> natsemi                21344  0
>
> if it wasn't I would add the following line to my
> /etc/modprobe.conf file:
> alias eth0 natsemi
>
> I believe the module for your card is 3c501 (this is just from memory)
>
> type 'modprobe 3c501' as root to load up the module.
>
> If everything works add this line to your /etc/modprobe.conf file:
> alias eth0 3c501

Hi, that didn't work but the card is a 3Com 3C509B so I tried 509 instead of
your ..501 and it worked!!!
Now when I do "ifconfig" it comes up with both interfaces!!

Now I can ping and all!!! Rejoice!!!

For some reason telnet does not seem to like the address yet but that maybe
a firewall issue???  I'll look into it further before getting back to this
list!

Thanks for everything,
Andoni.