Development Tools help

Ashwin K Iyengar ashwin.chn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 19:57:29 UTC 2004

> I'm new with linux so I don't know how to open these programs, could
> you give me the steps to open the program please. I looked at the
> documents and I didn't find anything. I'm sorry for the inconvenince.
> Thank you so much for your help with all this.
>

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:32:02 +0200, Markku Kolkka
> <markkukolkka at kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> > Jacob S kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 12.
> > joulukuuta 2004 01:20):
> > > Now that I have installed the development tools I want to code
> > > in c++ but I have no idea how to open the coder/compiler.

Hi Jacob,
   I have not tried coding in c++ under linux, but have done c programing. I
think c++ must b similar. First open a text editor like vim, gedit,
emacs,etc. Do not use open office for this. If u r from windozs world then
gedit is similar to notepad, so u should b comfortable with that. Type in
your c++ code in that & save that file. Open up a terminal(console). Type in
gcc <prg. name> .If it were a C program then i would type "gcc hello.c" . If
the program compiles without any error(that is u get to see $ prompt again
after gcc). Then type ./a.out to see the output. Check out the info pages of
gcc. vim & emacs r great editor with lots of functionalities. For learning
vim try "vimtutor" at terminal.

HTH

ashwin