Won't boot after upgrade FC2 to FC3 on Dell 2650, LVM problem?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Dec 14 20:56:55 UTC 2004

Deron Meranda wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 (dual Xeon) which was running FC2.  I
> upgraded to FC3 and after the first reboot it failed to start the
> kernel.  It looks like it is having trouble reading or mounting the
> filesystems.  The upgrade process itself went flawlessly.  Also it was
> initially installed/built with FC2, and no non-Fedora software had
> ever been loaded on it.

I've seen the same problem on some systems when I was playing around
with LVM.  The only difference my for-fun machines were initial
inistall.  When booted into rescue mode, I can mount root file system
(from LVM volume).  When booting normaly, kernel fails to find LVM
volumes (and thus no root file system to mount that leads to kernel panic).

Have you got any replies on this off-list, or maybe managed to figure it
out yourself?