Yum crash

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 14 22:53:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Qian Qiao wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:30:11 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay
> <balay at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > What do you mean by 'dead'?. Don't you telnet/ssh into this machine?
> > If so - you should have stuff on your sceen - which you can copy/paste
> > into e-mail.
>
> The machine was rebooted, and I managed to crashed it again, just to
> get the yum output:
>
> # yum update
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Fedora Core 2 base
> Getting headers from: Fedora Core 2 updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> .
>
> and that's it. It then crashed.
>
> By dead, I meant crash, the entire system (not just yum) just crashed
> completely. Lost ssh connection, doesn't respond on ping or anything.

ok. sounds like there is something seriously wrong with this machine.

If it gets hoesed up with 'yum' - you can try 'apt' and see if it goes
any further. And to minimise possible mishaps - I'll recommend trying
to upgrade to RHL9. (repositories are at ayo.freshrpms.net)

You could also try making sure you have the latest
kernel/glibc/rpm/python updates for RHL8 before attempting any major
upgrades.

good luck.
Satish