From: Andrew Mather [mailto:mathera gmail com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 4:40 PM
To: fedora-list redhat com
Subject: hostid gives identical values on all FC machines

Hi list,

I've got to install a piece of software which uses the value returned
by 'hostid' to generate a license key.   I've previously done this on
various flavours of RedHat, from about 5.2 onwards.

I've recently acquired 2 dual-opteron nodes and have installed FC2 for
AMD and run all the updates.

This morning, someone went to get the hostids and found both machines
return identical values (7f0100).  I also tried on an FC3 machine
running on an i686 box and got the same return.

I've googled around, but haven't been able to find anything useful.

Anyone else found this and has something changed and can anyone help me
to get a unique value ?

Thanks,
Andrew