NTFS

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 15 04:48:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 01:14:03AM +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:

> Greetings Richard
>
> Richard Shade wrote:
> >Does anyone know of a way to read a ntfs partitin in fedora core 3
>
> Well, since you have an NTFS partition you must have Microsoft Windows
> somewhere ,

If the NTFS partion is local (dual boot machine) you have to build a
custom kernel with NTFS support in it.  Me I would use a CDRW or one
of the nifty new and now large USB memory stick things as a transfer
medium.

Anyhow,
In a previous thread there was a good pointer to building a kernel.
The links on the last page are excellent and worth a good read.

   http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/index.html

First keep things as simple as possible and build a standard kernel
and test (KIS rule).  When that works build a second one with the NTFS
support enabled.

If you

  $ make xconfig

You will find under "File systems -- DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems"
this....

    NTFS file system support (NTFS_FS)

    NTFS is the file system of Microsoft Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003.

    Saying Y or M here enables read support. There is partial, but
    safe, write support available. For write support you must also
    say Y to "NTFS write support" below.

    There are also a number of user-space tools available, called
    ntfsprogs. These include ntfsundelete and ntfsresize, that work
    without NTFS support enabled in the kernel.

    This is a rewrite from scratch of Linux NTFS support and replaced
    the old NTFS code starting with Linux 2.5.11. A backport to
    the Linux 2.4 kernel series is separately available as a patch
    from the project web site.

    For more information see <file:Documentation/filesystems/ntfs.txt>
    and <http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/>.

    To compile this file system support as a module, choose M here: the
    module will be called ntfs.

    If you are not using Windows NT, 2000, XP or 2003 in addition to
    Linux on your computer it is safe to say N.

The changes to your .config file might look a bit like this.

    $ diff .config .config.old
    4c4
    < # Tue Dec 14 20:39:08 2004
    ---