Differences between the kernel source in FC2 and the kernel source obtained from kernel.org?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Dec 15 08:40:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 22:46 -0800, Park Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>   Is there any difference between the kernel source in
> FC2(version 2.6.5-1.358) and the kernel source
> (version 2.6.5)obtained from kernel.org?

Yes, there are a bunch of patches applied to the Fedora kernels.
However, if you look at the kernel .src.rpm you can see what these
patches are.

> Can I also download a 2.6.5 (or higher)version
> kernel source from kernel.org to replace the FC2's
> origianl kernel source and compile the new downloaded
> kernel source to yield a vmlinuz and run it as FC2's
> kernel without any conflict?

Yes, you can.

You might prefer to modify an existing Fedora kernel package though, as
you'll be closer to a "standard" kernel. There's a HOWTO for building a
custom kernel RPM for Fedora at  http://crab-
lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>