my hosts

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Dec 15 11:35:44 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 15.12.2004 schrieb Gregory.Alexander at computacenter.com um
12:14:

> localhost is the loopback device, for example if you installed a
> webserver, you could access it via http://localhost, it means that you can
> setup and test network software without having a network.
> I always use "ifconfig" to setup network devices.

> Greg Alexander

Gregory,

why do you reply to my posting? What do you want to tell me with the
content?

Speaking about the original posters mail, his question was not about the
loopback device but the eth0 ethernet device and the IP <--> name
mapping.

Btw. setting up the ethernet devices manually using ifconfig is not
needed in any way and gives no advantage as the network scripts do so
using the more modern iproute2.

Alexander

P.S. Please do not post HTML formatted mails to this list. Especially
avoid to send this stupid disclaimer to a public, archived mailinglist
and strip quotation please. O, and don't modify the subject line.
Thanks.

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 12:30:28 up 5 days, 7:11, load average: 0.76, 0.48, 0.38