LTO-2 tape device is very slow?

J. Epperson epperson at alumni.unc.edu
Wed Dec 15 14:25:52 UTC 2004

Ed's probably on point--slow DLTs and LTOs are usually repositioning
because they're not fed well enough to stream.  Adjusting driver parms
can help, so can various forms of buffering.  Also see "star"
manpages--it was written to replace tar, with streaming drives in mind.
  See the fifo option in particular.