FC3 sound issue

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Wed Dec 15 15:01:26 UTC 2004

Around about 15/12/2004 14:17, pavlos kairis (pakair) typed ...
> After I reboot, sound does not play. I always have to run the
> system-config-soundcard ONCE, click that I heard the wav and then my
> system plays sounds fine. Is there a {file, device} that the
> system-config-soundcard updates?

   I had this, and still have some side-effects, after upgrading from
FC1 , on which I had the ALSA stuff running from informal, manual
updates (from FreshRPMs) to FC2 which had ALSA formally in as part of
kernel 2.6.

   IIRC, the problem for me was that the /dev devices used by the formal
2.6 ALSA are different to those used by the old, and the new ones
weren't in the /etc/security/console.perms (which lets you use those
devices when you log in, and which I'd customised).  I found the
(obvious, now) console.perms.rpmnew lying next to it which showed the
changes to make.

   My side effects now are that I seem to get dummy ALSA settings at
boot with most stuff muted.  I have to either run the alsa mixer by hand
& turn everything back on/up or run 'alsactl restore', which I'm not
*sure* always works for me.   I've not go to the bottom of this yet.  It
looks like the pre-load alsactl calls are not happening/failing,
probably due to my prior FreshRPMs alsa config.

   I'm setting up an FC3 box afresh in a week, and I'll then compare the
modules.conf/modprobe.conf files (what's the diff.?).

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature