enforce screensaver for all users of a system?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Dec 15 16:28:15 UTC 2004

Matt Morgan wrote:
>>One way of achieving the user-unconfigurability would be to rebuild the
>>xscreensaver package with a patch that removed the code that read
>>~/.xscreensaver. Long-winded but it would work.
>

> At the moment, this feels "right," but also a little over our heads. A
> frequent cron job that replaces .xscreensaver with our default does
> not sound so bad, in comparison. But maybe this is an excuse to look
> at some code and see if I can figure it out (not generally my strong
> suit :-)).

Actually it's not quite this simple. xscreensaver will also check the X
resource database, though settings in ~/.xscreensaver would override the X
resource database settings. It *might* be enough to change the filename for
the ~/.xscreensaver file in the code to somewhere that users can't write to,
such as /etc/xscreensaver, but you might have to specify all possible settings
in that file to ensure that X resources wouldn't have any effect.

Paul.