Won't boot after upgrade FC2 to FC3 on Dell 2650, LVM problem? [SOLVED]

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 09:59:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:56:55 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic
<amilivojevic at pbl.ca> wrote:
> I've seen the same problem on some systems when I was playing around
> with LVM. ...
> Have you got any replies on this off-list, or maybe managed to figure it
> out yourself?

Yes, I figured it out myself.  I ended up having to create my own boot
initrd image manually to put things into debugging mode to figure it
all out.  What fun.

Anyway it turned out to be a problem with the hardware RAID on this
high-end Dell server.  The linux kernel driver for it changed names
between FC2 and FC3; and the modprobe.conf file was not changed
accordingly.

It's actually all documented very well in another thread in this
mailing list.  The thread title was "FC3 can't find LVM volumes, boot
fails, kernel panics".

--
Deron Meranda