Java and/or Jpackage on AMD64-FC3

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 13:35:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:55:11 +0000, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> On 12/15/2004 11:21:49 AM, Mercury Morris wrote:
> > I followed the article from the following link
> >
> >   http://mpeters.us/linux/j2sdk.php
> >
> > and successfully got Java working on a 32-bit FC3 machine.
> >
> > The success inspired me to try to get Java working on an AMD64-FC3
> > machine.  So I went back to the above article, this time starting
> > with the "1.5.0 version of the J2SDK", as the article advises.
> >
> > I downloaded jdk-1_5_0-linux-amd64-rpm.bin and
> > jre-1_5_0-linux-amd64-rpm.bin.  Also retrieved
> > jpackage.asc and jpackage.repo, installed both.
> > After using yum to install jpackage-utils, I got
> > confused.  The article continues, saying to get
> > Sun's j2sdk-1_4_2_06-linux-i586-rpm.bin,
> > but the top of the article says to use 1.5.0.
> >
> > So, I looked around Sun's website and found a
> > path to 1.5.0 and downloaded jdk-1_5_0-linux-amd64-rpm.bin.
> > Anticipating success at the end of all these steps, I next
> > used yum to install jedit, leaving as the last step,
> >
> > yum install java-1.4.2-sun-compat
> >

> That's for 32-bit.
> I do not know if JPackage has a java-sun-compat for 1.5 SDK.
> It doesn't look like it.
>
> You could try this:
>
> http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=1291
>
> I don't know for sure that will work with the amd64 j2sdk
> You may have to modify the spec file, and maybe do some other things.

Thanks for answering.  Since 1.5.0 was mentioned only once in your
article, I kind of thought the outcome on AMD64-FC3 might not be the
same as on 32-bit machines.  So, no real disappointment - java is
available, just not on all the systems here.

I might pursue the 1.5.0 nosrc.rpm.  Setting up an rpm-build environment
is not near the top of the priority list though.

Another alternative, quite a bit higher on the priority list, would be to try
to install the same set of 32-bit packages on the AMD64 machines.
Your article indicates that 1.5.0 is needed for them, but doesn't explicity
say that the 1.4.2 will not work.

Jpackage is certainly better than whatever I did to get Java working
on AMD64-FC2 - that was a long, painful process.  In the end, the
kernel kept seg-faulting, but the machine kept on running.  I just
concluded that Java and Linux don't get along well together, the
fault borne more by the latter than the former.

Thanks again for answering, and for your article- a big help!

--
MM