system-config-display with Nvidia custom drivers ? Multiple kernels ?

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Thu Dec 16 16:03:44 UTC 2004

I'm running FC3 on an HP7280 laptop which has an Nvidia GoForce 5600
video card.  I've downloaded and installed the Nvidia drivers and all
the basic functionality works fine.  However, I've got 2 issues:

1) I use multiple kernels: 2.6.9-1.681_FC3, 2.6.9-1.681_FC3-smp and a
custom kernel.  Right now every time I change kernels I have to re
install the Nvidia drivers.  Is there an easier way to do this ?  Is it
possible to install an Nvidia driver that works with multiple kernels ?

2) Using the custom Nvidia driver means one can't use system-config-
display.  I would like to start using a second monitor and next week I
need to output to the TV out.  It looks like every time I change the
video setup I have to edit xorg.conf.  Is that correct ?  Is there an
easier way ?  Is there some way to allow system-config-display work with
the custom Nvidia drivers ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.