RPM

Jean-Marie Renouard jmrenoua at alcove.fr
Thu Dec 16 16:16:30 UTC 2004

delir!um wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I would like to know what RPM is? I wanted to download Java Console and
>I had the possibility to choose between RPM packages and normal
>packages. What is the difference?
>Any idea whether there are drivers for my graphic card - ATI Mobility
>Radeon 9700? Or any idea where I could find it out, so I can quit
>bothering you?
>
>Kind regards,
>delirium
>
>P.S. I hope this is no spam anymore, because I have answers to my
>previous question now ;-)

Hello,
http://fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/rpm/ is a great tutorial
http://www.rpm.org

The best application with Fedora :

Yum and apt help you, they do the dirty work for you :
Resolving dependencies, downloading packages, installing then in the order.
yum.conf allow you to add extras repositories.

You can use apt on fedora core too.
http://ayo.freshrpms.net
I have attached a sources.list file.
Just download apt, intall it rpm -ihv apt...rpm

cp sources.list /etc/apt/
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade # this will upgrading the system with new versions of
software.

apt-get install nomdupackage

#Search package that have network in the name or description
apt-cache search network

#Why not ?
apt-get rermove kde

Best Regards,