system-config-display with Nvidia custom drivers ? Multiple kernels ?

Miguel Filho miguel at ccuec.unicamp.br
Thu Dec 16 16:38:30 UTC 2004

> 1) I use multiple kernels: 2.6.9-1.681_FC3, 2.6.9-1.681_FC3-smp and a
> custom kernel.  Right now every time I change kernels I have to re
> install the Nvidia drivers.  Is there an easier way to do this ?  Is it
> possible to install an Nvidia driver that works with multiple kernels ?

The nvidia's driver do the job in two parts: first, it compiles in your
machine a kernel module named just "nvidia", this part is kernel
dependent, so, if you use 3 diferent kernels, you must compile 3 nvidia
modules, one for each kernel, like any module.

/lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

The second part, is the driver that X.org uses, this one is closed
source, but works just fine. this one is kernel independent.

> 2) Using the custom Nvidia driver means one can't use system-config-
> display.  I would like to start using a second monitor and next week I
> need to output to the TV out.  It looks like every time I change the
> video setup I have to edit xorg.conf.  Is that correct ?  Is there an
> easier way ?  Is there some way to allow system-config-display work with
> the custom Nvidia drivers ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Run the command nvidia-settings, this is a tool provided by nvidia, and
it cant ajust a lot of things.

Miguel