Using laptop "special" buttons in X

Rick Wagner wagnerric at condor.cxo.cpqcorp.net
Thu Dec 16 18:47:46 UTC 2004

Hi,

My laptop has several special function keys, which I would like to assign as
actions in KDE.  When I press the keys, I get a message on the text console
to the effect of (sorry, I don't have the exact text, but this should be
close enough): "Undefined keyboard scancode 65, use setkeycodes to assign."

man setkeycodes says: "The  keycodes  of  X  have nothing to do with those of
Linux...", so it sounds like setkeycodes won't get my keys to X.  How do I
assign scancodes to an X keycode, and how do I find an unused keycode I can
assign it to?  Once I have X seeing the keys, it should be no differant than
assigning any other key in KDE.

Thanks,
 --rick