Firewall issues with setting up vsftp server

Chris Johnson chris.johnson at sekoworldwide.com
Thu Dec 16 20:49:09 UTC 2004

Terry,
    Did you get this working?
    FTP protocol uses port 21 for the control connection (sending
commands like cd, mkdir, etc...) and also uses port 20 for the data
connection in "active mode". There was a problem using active mode; the
server makes the data connection back to the client. As soon as
firewalls were invented to protect the "client" machines everyones ftp
data sessions wouldn't work. So enters Passive (PASV) ftp mode. In
passive mode the server selects and tell the client machine a random
high number port to connect to for the data session. Your data
connections are timing out because the firewall isn't open on those
random high number ports. There is an IPtabels kernel module maintain
passive ftp state. try doing an 'insmod ftp_conntrack_ftp' and see if it
helps.
good luck,
chrisj