Dell E173FP problem

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Thu Dec 16 22:12:38 UTC 2004

Matthias Bauw wrote:
> But now I have bought myself a Dell E173FP 17" flat panel monitor and I get a
> "cannot display this video mode" when I try to boot Linux.
>
> Could somebody tell me wich files to adapt and how I should change them?

Connect your old monitor to the box.
Open X-windows, at a terminal type  "system-config-display"
When the "DISPLAY SETTINGS" window comes up (you might have to enter the
root password), go to HARDWARE and select "Generic LCD Display" with
whatever resolution your LCD display supports.
Then in the Display Settings window go back to the first tab and select
the resolution for your new LCD.

After your screen size has changed, disconnect your monitor and connect
your LCD.

Can't promise this will work since I don't have your hardware here to
test, but this is how I would do it.