Libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib64 but not in /usr/X11R6/lib for the AMD X86-64 cpu

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Dec 17 02:04:56 UTC 2004

Jonathan Ryshpan writes:

> I recently installed Adobe's acroread.  It didn't work, because the
> libraries /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6, /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so,
> and /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6.2 are missing.  Similar libraries exist
> in /usr/X11R6/lib64.  I copied in these libraries (for /usr/lib/X11R6)
> from a version of FC3 for X86, and (to my great surprise!) acroread now
> works.
>
> Is there some reason why these libraries are missing?

You did not install the 32bit versions of the X libs.

>                                                        Is it harmful in
> some way for them to be on the system.  If so, how?

It's certainly surprising that shoving a 64bit library in place of a 32bit
library actually works; there are probably some hidden bug that will show up
sooner or later, and bite you in the ass.

>                                                     Is there a plan to
> release an upgrade to FC3 for the X86-64 processors which would contain
> the missing libraries?

FC2 for X86_64 includes both 32bit and 64bit builds of xorg-x11-libs, so I
expect that FC3 also has both 32bit and 64bit builds.

All you need to do is install the 32bit RPM, and you're all set.

Note that there have been a couple of erratas for xorg-x11, so you should
simply pull everything from the update channel.