lame volume encoding question

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 17 03:45:50 UTC 2004

On 12/16/2004 06:09:13 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Thursday 16 December 2004 9:58 pm, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > For listening, I have a shell script that reads the tag info,
> > uncompresses to wav, and uses lame with --preset-standard and all
> my
>
> > tag information to output nice tagged mp3's.
>
> Hi,
>
> Why don't you use grip? It will rip the tracks and encode them to mp3
> if you
> wish (tagging them with info obtained manually or thru the freedb).

Several reasons.
I rip from Windows using EAC because EAC is undisputed the best ripping
software there is. It will either rip the track perfectly, or tell you
where it had a problem so that you can investigate (listen to the
problem areas and determine wether or not you want to try again)

I have CD's that would not rip right in Linux (cdparanoia), iTunes,
etc. that I was able to get perfect rips from with EAC.

Secondly - I rip to flac because flac is lossless and supports tagging,
so I can encode to any lossy format and have the same quality as if I
went straight from the CD - but I don't have to go from the CD.

Once EAC has ripped a CD, the CD goes back in jewel case, and into a
box in my closet, never to be needed again.

> Take a look at "normalize". I'm not sure if it comes with Fedora but
> that's
> what you need. I think it only works with wav files though.

Working with wav files is fine - I decode the flac to wav before
encoding to mp3.

Thanks - I'll look at that.