switching to root from desktop

soraberri 421246 at posta.unizar.es
Fri Dec 17 10:27:32 UTC 2004

Michael Scottaline wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:00:32 +0100
> soraberri <421246 at posta.unizar.es> insightfully noted:
>
> S>Hi all
> S>
> S>maybe there is a simple to way to solve this nuisance but I didn't find
> S>it, maybe you could suggest me one:
> S>
> S>when I'm for example browsing through the filesystem as a non-root user
> S>and I open a text file wich I want to edit, change and save, how can I
> S>"su" to root in order to do it in the same graphical desktop enviroment?
> S>I mean: what is the equivalent to the su command for the desktop?
> ======================================
> Once you find the file you want to edit, launch a terminal, su to root and
> then issue the command to open the editor of your choice.  Once the editor
> is open (remember root is now running that editor) you can browse to and
> edit the file.  As with most things Linux, there are a number of other
> ways to accomplish this (such as running the file manager as root,
> briefly).
> HTH,
> Mike

thanks Mike
from your words I understand that there isn't actually a direct way to
switch to a root sesion as if you had eventually loged in as root,
rigth?. Well, I think it makes sense if we think about Linux process
management so every and each process is running with particular
privileges...
Anyway, it could be interesting to run the file manager as root without
the need of the terminal, or even switch to root from the file manager
itself. Do you know if it's possible?