What the ... kernel update?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Dec 17 14:28:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Peter Cannon wrote:

> On Friday 17 December 2004 12:58, Max Reeves wrote:
> > Hello out there,
> >
> > now I started up2date and updated my kernel to newer version. After
> > restarting my PC I now have the choice between 2 version of kernel to
> > boot with. How can I remove it and select the newer version by default
> > (I just want to see the newer one)?
>
> With root privileges go to /boot/grub/grub.conf with text editor delete the
> old kernel referances save and close.

If you want to leave the old kernel in place but have the new kernel be
the default (not a bad idea until you have confidence in the new kernel),
just make sure the "default=" line in /etc/grub.conf is set to 0.

If you want to remove the old kernel entirely, rpm -e kernel-<oldversion>.

Other methods may screw up RPM-based management of the kernel files and he
contents of grub.conf.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences